Thursday, April 02, 2015

The Burden of Dissatisfaction*

Crazy times. Politicos in Indiana must be reading George Orwell and picking up on the perverse ways language can be used to turn logic on its head. Indiana’s “Religious Freedom” act is designed to allow business owners to discriminate against same-sex couples, though what this has to do with religious freedom I don’t know. I guess it’s too upsetting for Indiana’s pious Christians to dine alongside same-sex couples.

Will this weirdness never end? Same-sex couples don’t bother me in the least. What bothers me is the fact that the United States is still mucking around in Afghanistan, fourteen years after invading the country in search of terrorists. I’m also bothered – but certainly not surprised – by the lack of media coverage of the Syrian refugee crisis. Millions of people have been displaced, uprooted from their homes and livelihoods and kin. It’s an enormous human tragedy, particularly for children. I’m bothered by the fact that the US penal colony at Guantanamo Bay is still operating, at enormous expense and dubious benefit. I’m bothered that a nitwit like Ted Cruz thinks he’s presidential material…that the man holds a seat in the US Senate is insulting enough.

My list of grievances is long. Fools and fuck-ups are at the helm and steering us straight at the iceberg. Everyday they write another tale of ordinary madness. We bleed from a thousand wounds without realizing we’ve been cut.

The thinking that landed us in an economic-environmental-political-military shithole is not up to the task of getting us out. Time to change the music.

Is there any realistic chance of this happening? Probably not. The ruling elites are very well entrenched and content with the status quo. One look at who the likely presidential candidates are in 2016, Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush, a pair of tarnished political retreads, is proof enough that significant change isn’t in the cards. Our political leaders keep doubling down on failed – or stupid – ideas, all in the name of maintaining their power.


Closer to home, and of more immediate impact, California’s governor has finally called for mandatory cutbacks in water consumption. Why it took Jerry Brown this long to act is curious, but late is better than never. When I was in Riverside last weekend, a waitress serving my breakfast brought a tall glass of water that I didn’t request, and while I was driving along a suburban street I saw a man washing his car in his driveway, an image that shocked me. Don’t they understand the magnitude of our situation? All anyone has to do is look at the nearest creek, river, or reservoir.

*With a nod to Allen Ginsberg

No comments: