Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Poem: 1-11-15



2015
here we are,
new year,
same violent, intolerant, unruly
world

Cartoonists murdered in Paris
Republicans control the US Congress
Oh boy!
I’m not saying these events are comparable
because they’re not
both are depressing symbols
of our time

Hypocrisy is a requisite of Empire
you will do as we say
and forget what we do

Shut the door, lower the blinds, pop the cap
off another Guinness
call for solace upon the ghosts of Charlie Bukowski
and Henry Miller
spirits
prophets
long dead poets

Heart beating, head reeling
optimism leaning on one knee
on the canvas
wobbly faith

Holidays in the rearview mirror
back to the tried and true routine
Monday, 5:30 a.m. standing outside the gym
moon shining above a barren tree
sun not yet on the rise
blue mountains to the east
garbage truck lumbers down Gutierrez
solitary
can and bottle hunter pushes his cart
along an uneven sidewalk
head down, cigarette glowing
harvest clinking

Look ahead, look behind
what will this year bring?
rain, I hope
California is parched from north to south
and Mission creek is dry as dust

I resolve only to meditate more
not for any enlightenment I might gain
but to find some silence within myself
a refuge from the constant noise

And if I can do nothing else
I must appreciate my wife
love my children
do my work and scribble
my silly lines


No comments: