Sunday, November 02, 2014

Trapped Between Bad and Worse

Like most Americans, I’ve ignored the midterm elections, the ritual bashing of the party in power. As always, voters are faced with a choice between bad and worse. I have been receiving a steady stream of hysterical e-mails from Democrats and Progressive organizations, asking for money for this or that candidate or issue that is in danger of falling to the right wing money machine. None of these messages are read; I refuse to open my wallet for any candidate of any party. Let’s face it, the two political parties in this country are part of an utterly corrupt, broken system; both are held captive by corporate interests. If nothing else, Republicans are predictable – they adhere to rigid free market ideology and atavistic social policies.

I don’t know what Democrats stand for. Ever since Bill Clinton, Democrats behave like Republicans, sucking at the same corporate teats, and pushing policy prescriptions that favor the wealthy at the expense of the middle class and poor. Barack Obama is a staunch defender of the status quo. Even when all his political stars were aligned in 2008 and 2009, Obama pushed a tame, timid agenda, and retreated at the first sign of Republican pressure. With the notable exception of Elizabeth Warren, Democrats can’t articulate who they are with any force, conviction or emotion, and for this reason, they will most likely lose control of the Senate and face an even wider Republican majority in the House. 

There are a couple of ballot measures at the local level that are interesting. Measure P would limit hydraulic fracturing, also known as fracking, in Santa Barbara County. Big oil has poured gobs of money into defeating this measure, raising the specter of lost jobs and tax revenue. Oh my! The horror! Any measure that aims to screw with Big Oil can’t be all bad, so even though P isn’t perfect, I’ll vote for it. Measure S would raise $288 million in bonds for upgrades at Santa Barbara City College, our local academic jewel that now draws students from all over the world, to the detriment of local students and the rental housing market. I understand why City College markets itself all over the globe – tuition dollars – but until the College is committed to making classes and programs accessible to students from SB, first and foremost, I won’t vote for its bond measure.

I was tempted to sit out this year’s elections, but on Tuesday I’ll walk over to the junior high school and cast my ballot to legitimize the political class. My choices are limited by party rules that favor known quantities over fresh faces, by a media machine that works hand-in-hand for the powers-that-be, and by a perverse campaign finance system.


My choice is between bad and worse.

No comments: